Saturday, May 31, 2008

Drawing the line with the Queen of Teen











Mmm, after writing that post title, I can think of a whole ‘nuther way this post could go, as any Mum of a 12-going-on-16-yo could understand. But no, this is about drawing a party line in the sand. I have survived the birthday party circuit for all my girls each year and there needs to be an end in sight because how else will Sophie ever catch up to Kate? And I don’t ever want to be organising one of those late-teenage parties you hear about with security guards or necessitating calls to the police, so I think that the start of secondary school is the perfect line drawing year.

Of course, the blow has been softened with a small sleepover and control freak that I am, I even managed to hand over invitation making duties to my near-teen (17 days she tells me – do you remember being that excited about your next birthday that you knew exactly how many days???). And this is what she came up with – aren’t they simply gorgeous and oh-so-grown-up?

I put them on our sideboard to photograph right next to a pile of photos, including Princess Kate, circa 2000, so I added her to the pic because it is near impossible for me to get an acquiescent photo of her these days, she’s worse than a toddler LOL I have been attempting to capture her winter school uniform (complete with tie no less) and the pics above show just how co-operative she is feeling atm. It’s the same thing with her hair – she has this great mane of dark blond curls and ringlets that is truly spectacular out and she knows I love it that way , so she hides it away in drab braids, buns and ponytails simply to annoy me, I’m sure! I need to start using reverse psychology I think.

How can I possibly be grown-up enough to have a teenager daughter…..

5 comments:

Emma-Kate Castricum said...

Oh that hair, it's stunning, does she know how many women spend a fortune to have hair like that?

Just the thought of my kids having 'Corey' type teenage parties worries the hell out of me. Hopefully we've raised our kids with enough respect for us that it will never happen!

Em

Kate said...

Oh my! Is she on the 'turn'? By that I mean Is she not as malleable as she used to be? Welcome to my world! Samuel is the same!! Oh woe is me! lol

So, does that mean you are putting an end to parties? Such a shame. We have a big one coming up in 17 days - Bronte's 10th!! How exciting for her but sad for me...

k8

Stomper Girl said...

Her hair is beautiful and I'm hoping for your future peace as she enters the teens, that it is just that she doesn't like hair in her face, and not that she's trying to bug you!

I dread the thought of sleepover parties, I must say. I like my sleep and I'm not sure if I'd get what I call a decent night if there was a slumber party going on.

Georgie said...

Ah Grinder, I really want Kate's legs.
And while we are it it I want to be as tall as Kate (I know now from real life experience I'm not!!!), and have her hair.
Don't worry, no one would know you are the (nearly) mother of a teenager you look too young and are still immature you know - ROFLMFAO!
DB (Yoda)

Sue J said...

Great food for thought thanks girls, I have just worked out (I think) what's going on here. I don't think Kate is ready for her hair. It's such an incredible statement when it's in full ringleted, untied back flight - it's too much for a 12 (well, 13 in 5 days LOL) girl. It's just too much, she'll have to "grow into it".

K8, I just love the phrase "not as malleable" and have been using it rather a lot lately - v. appropriate from one who clearly knows. No chance of ending parties, Amy's is coming up next month and Kate's non-party is looking pretty festive at this point, more on that next week.....

Georgie, I think I'm rather less mature than my daughter much of the time, I spend way too much time hanging out with you and ROFLMFAO, don't I?