Friday, February 22, 2008

What's it all about...

I’ve been pondering this sudden creation of mine since its hasty, almost accidental birth – what do I have to say? To offer? A good friend has started hers explaining that it is essentially for herself (v. glad she’s sharing though) and maybe if I look at it that way, it’ll reduce the intimidation and cringe factor. It’s like starting the very first page of a beautiful, pristine journal – what thoughts could possibly be worthy?

Anyway, what will there be? Photos aplenty – note these are family snapshots with an appalling paucity of light, focus, composition, ummm (I guess if you can’t even name the elements missing from your photos, you know you’re in trouble). I am strictly an enthustiastic, snap-happy Mum – I won’t be pressing my point and shoot camera up close against a flower and calling it art anytime soon – promise LOL I am blessed with friends of stunning photographic skill and creativity to admire and enjoy. Fortunately they are also the kind of friends who will smile indulgently but absolutely genuinely at my woeful snaps because they love me and especially my darling 3 subjects of choice ;)

What else – the obligatory family news of course; maybe some recipes when I’m in my pretend-I’m-Martha-or-Nigella mode :) ; books (or trashy mags depending on the current brain function level); movies (ha – that implies I actually GET to grown-up movies more than once a year LOL I think the last movie I saw in a cinema was Enchanted and I was thrilled and relieved that at least it wasn’t Alvin and the Chipmunks!); links to lovely things to covet and make me say mmmmm…; maybe if I’m brave enough you might see some odds and sods that I’ve written – whether it’s stories for children, non-fiction or poetry (might have to work up to that!) and last , but not least thoughts. Without sounding wanky, I love to be thoughtful, love to take things apart in my head and my words and try and find reason, meaning, some way of trying to make sense of this strange journey and the ways that connections and patterns emerge if you look around. I know that the way that my brain processes is to discuss, talk, write and then I’m able to work out what I think. Communicate first and understand what is true. Which is the opposite to my darling logical husband who would always work out what he thinks BEFORE he opens his mouth – but he’s learned to live with me :)

7 comments:

Sussanah said...

Do it for yourself. Not in a navel gazing way, but knowing that your voice is as important as any other.

You can't please all the people, and if you try to you won't be true to yourself.

This is the place for your voice, so shout it out loud. You'll find people who appreciate it.

Me, I was shocked to find a whole community of potty mouth, vitriolic bad mothers.

Jodie said...

Oh Sue!!! I am sooooo pleased that you have decided to have a blog of your own! You have such a wonderful way with words ~ it would be such a waste for you not to have one..

It is a lovely way for people like me to keep in touch and up to date with what is going on in the gorgeous Jennings household :o)

Jodie xxx

Georgie said...

I think you should write about narcissists. LMFAO.
xxx

Sue J said...

Hey Sussanah, thanks for the excellent & reassuring advice - Georgie tells me you have a great, funny voice and as she has a mighty foine sense of humour herself, I'm looking forward to wandering through your blog.

Hi Jodie (((waves))) I'm very happy about getting back in touch with lots of friends I've missed, you were part of my inspiration, sweetie :)

As for Georgie, have made note of your request and will prepare a piece on that disabling condition in the future. You know I've done lots of research on the matter - in fact, I could even do a case study if you're really interested ;)

Carrie Young said...

OMG ROFLMFAO ;o) !!! "pressing my point and shoot camera up close against a flower and calling it art anytime soon"

Georgie said...

also if you have some drawings your obviously gifted children have done, you could post them too.......

Sue J said...

Well you two are obvi-arsely some of those potty-mouth, vitriolic bad mothers Sussanah warned me about :P :P :P

BTW Georgie, Kate went to the National Gallery of Victoria yesterday and thought one of the Sidney Nolan's looked just like one of her creations from last year! ;) So clearly gifted, glad you recognised it..... LOL