Sunday, April 27, 2008

Quirky-go-round

I have been tagged by the lovely, quirky Kristen http://kristens-memories-dreams.blogspot.com/

These are the rules:

Link the person who tagged you
Mention the rules on your blog
Tell about 6 unspectacular quirks of yours
Tag 6 fellow bloggers by linking them
Leave a comment on each of the tagged bloggers blogs letting them know they have been tagged.

This is my first try at tagging here and while I love the idea of a big blogland game of chasey, hope I don’t trip over my virtual shoelaces trying to make this work….. I do want to say thanks to Tanya who posted a comment to help Kristen work out how to link, I just followed your instructions :)

Just 6 of my quirks? Well, it’s a start ;)

1.

I take a paper route to happiness every Sunday and become slightly unhinged if I can’t get my “fix”. I take the Sunday newspapers (including those lovely glossy colour mag inserts) and leave the house – I don’t think it really matters where I go (usually a local cafĂ©) as long as I leave all family members/noise/responsibilities behind – reading on the couch in the midst of aforementioned chaos does NOT cut it! If I miss out, I can be heard to mutter darkly on a Sunday evening that “I haven’t read my papers” and if someone is silly enough to reply that I can always read them tomorrow, I’ll likely bite their head off as it’s NOT THE POINT!

2.

While I can appear appropriately grown-up, moderately dressed and able to be relied on to make sensible decisions, there is a large part of me which is still 8 years old. I never wanted to turn nine, so part of me clearly stayed there and it only comes out to play with the girls, when I’m really over-tired, rather like a child who’s consumed a jug of red cordial. I have been known to initiate body-slamming and wrestling competitions, silly dances, songs and even break out the “psycho bum”, but only to an audience of three hysterically giggly girls who have to be sworn to secrecy afterwards ;)

3.

I am a woman of mass distraction. My poor husband despairs at the half-completed jobs, projects and great ideas that lie around our house, awaiting my attention. I have the attention span of a gnat or a goldfish these days and things fall out of my head like a sieve (yes, I am Sophie’s mother, more and more so, it appears). Andrew will walk into the kitchen to find the dishwasher open, either half-packed or half-unpacked; lunches half prepared; a sponge on the bench, half-wiped; half a load of washing hung out with the rest still languishing in the basket while I sit doing a jigsaw puzzle with the girls which most likely, we leave half-completed LOL

4.

I have a bookcase full, literally sagging under the weight of the worthy literature I want to read, but my junk-brain-food of choice for the last decade has been appalling trashy magazines. Perfectly suitable for a sleep deprived mother’s barely functioning brain, they are pickupable and equally putdownable when interrupted without the rancour involved in interrupting me in the midst of a good book – they are the equivalent of a fast food happy meal or a bitesized chocolate portion…..

5.

I am compelled to go shopping every time my husband leaves the country. I don’t know why, my only theory is that it’s some kind of unconscious reward/filling the void mechanism, but I do know from extensive mother research that I’m not the only one (you know who you are)! All I can do is attempt to channel it into legitimate and necessary purchases ;)

6.

Since a burglar walked into my bedroom and woke me up in the middle of the night 18 months ago while Andrew was working in Sydney, I am a psychotic, anxious-beyond-all-rational-thought lunatic at night when he’s away. So a night without him now involves a sophisticated alarm system activated, all doors checked at least twice before I go to bed, more glasses of red wine than is strictly necessary or advisable, several rounds of check-the-girls, the dog allowed to sleep inside, lights either on or motion activated all around the outside of the house, TWO phones beside the bed, the tv left on low in the bedroom all night (for company and a little light) and still I am likely to jump up out of bed at some point with a huge adrenalin rush, thanks to a partying possum or carousing neighbour. I am such an irrational, phobic baby.

Ok, here goes, I hope these work – I am tagging:

Carrie http://carrieyoung.typepad.com/love_laugh_live

Georgie http://itsaporterslife.blogspot.com/

Stomper Girl http://stompergirl.blogspot.com/

Trudi http://trudiswords.blogspot.com/

Kaz http://itsonlymekaz.blogspot.com/

Ali J http://aussiepatches.typepad.com/aussiepatches

5 comments:

Carrie Young said...

*argh* Sue! I am seriously struggling! I don't know if I can do this one!

Trudi said...

Done.

I saw myself in a couple of yours, especially the goofy things we do with the girls.

And you are so NOT irrational about the nights, I would be a mess if I had been through what you did.

Georgie said...

LOL Grinder, I'm struggling too, but will come up with some stuff not nearly as demented as you :P
xxx

Precious Pink Pumps said...

I love your # 2 - you would be a fun person to have a few champers with I bet!

Stomper Girl said...

Oh my God, a burglar walked into your bedroom!!!! What did you do, what happened? I don't blame you for being phobic, I'm like that anyway (the two phones and the locked doors) and I've -touch wood- had no cause as yet.

Thanks for the tag.